Sunday, September 2, 2012

Welcome aboard!


It’s been a while. I could say I didn’t find time to write about my life and adventures, but who believes this hackneyed phrase these days. So I’ll just say I didn’t have the energy to write after the hectic and nerve wrecking 18hrs working day on board. I've been working 5 months around the Med as a 2nd stewardess on 70m private yacht. It has definitely been THE experience of my life, in a positive and negative way as well. I’ve met people whose bitterness and unhappiness took over their soul and conquered all aspects of their life. I learned how to live with that kind of people on a small living area with no way out (We were anchored away from the shore the whole summer).  I learned how to stay strong at all times and how to keep going  and motivate myself during unbearable times.

Yachting industry isn’t a picnic and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who isn’t thick skinned or at least wish to become so. It’s industry with no mercy, where you work  weeks or months without a day off and some days without even a  30 minute break. Another challenge are the people you work with. They are opposite of who you are, opposite of people you usually have in your life. It's a challenge to find a way to, at least try to get along and have as less confrontations as possible, to live in some kind of symbiosis, for every one's sake. During the main yachting season (jun-sep, jan-apr) you can forget about your life, your priorities and wishes, your main and only focus is on work. You work for billionaires and they require a 24/7 service on the highest level with complete dedication, 100% concentration  and absolute perfection.  So why would one even commit oneself to that kind of job? Nevertheless it’s well-payed job and a pretty good way of saving all the money you’ve earned. Due to non-stop work you’re not really able to spent  money and on top of all, everything is payed for you - toiletries, health insurance, accommodation and food. So it’s 100% clear, you don’t enter this industry for reasons such as travelling, having jolly summer and fun or look for friendships. You come only for financial reasons.

Yachting industry is a great school of life, you learn a lot about different people and life itself. Emotional detachment is essential and at times you have to go over yourself and over your limits in order to survive. There's no point in being emphatic and help others, because basically it’s all about saving your own ass. You have to work things out for yourself only. There’s no compassion, no sympathy no feelings involved. It’s industry with no mercy. And that’s why it’s not my cup of tea, and I struggled all the time, either to stay or go. It was against my moral principles and my way of life. But I stayed in the end. Because if I start something, I finish it. And all in all I grew even stronger, became even more thick skinned and I learned and realised what  kind of people I don’t want in my life.

Any kind of school of life is good. If you read between the lines and you know what the lesson is then it’s all worth it. It’s called life. Most of the time it treats you good. Sometimes it treats you less good in order to teach you something or to prepare you for the upcoming challenges.  It’s  like a ship after all. Sometimes it will be rocky, unbearable and it will make you sick. But the other day you wake up into a beautiful day on calm sea, with playful dolphins jumping out of the water, sweet breeze of the wind and gentle morning sun on your skin. You never know what you gonna get! Welcome aboard of life!:)) 



“If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable.” Seneca  

1 comment:

  1. There is a meaningful saying ... the sea gives a lot yet takes a lot too, and there is a belief that it takes a man to sail on water.
    Yachting is not a seasonal adventure or a roadside cafe to have a sit&sip and go - it's a dedication for years and for some of us - lifespan. It has its perks, however it takes patience, persistence and focus to reach and deserve those. The rewarding point of enjoying it is known solely for those endured the bitter stage of adapting and blending the sailing lifestyle into their selves(described above).
    So much about the medium ... as for people: no idea why, but reminds me of "Survivor" & "Big Brother" venues yet more shaky :) It resembles to every working team - some good, some bad and no one perfect (but we are damn close :) ).
    In short - sea is not for everyone and who survives the hard part - enjoys even more the latter...

    Ocean Captain splashing waves for 12 years now

    ReplyDelete